Bulverhythe Sewage Clean-up
BY SUSAN MCFIE AND KENT BARKER
Days after a mains pipe burst in Bulverhythe, flooding local homes with sewage, Southern Water were still involved in a massive clear-up operation. Dozens of tankers lined up throughout the weekend following the leak to remove contaminated water from the area. A row of high-volume pumps was deployed to extract water from the underground tanks on the old bathing site.

The burst main caused the collapse of a stretch of road and a cycleway. A Southern Water spokesperson said: “A sewer mains pipe is believed to have burst early on Friday morning. Specialist teams immediately attended the area, and have closed the road and footpaths to ensure the safety of the public. Unfortunately, this flooding is affecting a small number of homes in the area.”
Rother District Council has advised against bathing in the sea in the area until further tests are carried out.
The burst came just days after a major anti-sewage protest was held in Hastings. Demonstrators said there had been more than two hundred and thirty sewage outflows in the area in 2022.
The previous year, another major sewage leak closed the beach at Bulverhythe and flooded many of the local beach huts. Following the latest leak, Southern Water said: “We know flooding is a distressing experience and we are very sorry that this has happened. Our customer teams are in contact with those involved to offer support.”
We hope you have enjoyed reading this article. The future of our volunteer led, non-profit publication would be far more secure with the aid of a small donation. You can also support local journalism by becoming a friend of HIP. It only takes a minute and we would be very grateful.


Leave a Reply