Asparagus, Halloumi and New Potatoes
Recipe submitted by Jill Kaye from Marina Allotments, St Leonards.
From Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s Three Good Things
• 600-700g new potatoes, scrubbed or scraped
• 4-5 garlic cloves, peeled and bashed
• 3 tbsp olive oil
• 1 bunch of asparagus
• 1 pack of halloumi cheese
• Juice of half a lemon
• 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/175°C fan. Cut the potatoes into 3cm chunks and put into a large roasting tray with the garlic and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss well.
2. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, snap the woody ends from the asparagus and cut the spears into 3-4cm lengths, setting the tips aside. Cut the halloumi into 2cm pieces.
3. Add the asparagus stem pieces and the halloumi to the potatoes and toss to combine. Turn the potatoes so they brown all over, ideally keeping everything in a single layer.
4. Return the tray to the oven for ten minutes, then add the asparagus tips and cook for another five minutes till the asparagus is tender and the cheese is starting to caramelise. Discard the garlic. Sprinkle over the lemon juice, transfer to a serving dish and scatter the parsley over. You can serve this with steamed chard or spinach.
• For more seasonal recipes go to marinaallotments.org.uk
We hope you have enjoyed reading this article. The future of our volunteer led, non-profit publication would be far more secure with the aid of a small donation. You can also support local journalism by becoming a friend of HIP. It only takes a minute and we would be very grateful.