Hamrin’s Farooj Mahshi (stuffed chicken)
By Safiya Young
• 1 whole chicken
• cup of rice
• cup of boiling water
• vegetable stock cube
• tbsp olive oil
• 1 diced carrot
• A few cloves of garlic crushed until very soft
• Spices: cumin, coriander, turmeric, chilli, Salt and pepper
1. If you are fully preparing the meat yourself, place the chicken in a saucepan with no oil and cook it until it is a little brown. This makes removing the feathers easier; cut it and clean it.
2. Mix the olive oil, cumin, coriander, salt, garlic and chili to make a paste and paint it over the chicken.
3. Add a vegetable stock cube to the boiling water and pour it onto the rice, then mix in carrot, salt and pepper and turmeric. Once the water has been absorbed, stuff the chicken with the rice mix and sew it closed.
4. Cover the chicken with foil and cook it for half an hour. Then remove the foil and cook until ready. Check every half hour adding stock if necessary.
• Dealing with chicken feathers is something that Hamrin does out of choice and not essential to the recipe.
We hope you have enjoyed reading this article. The future of our volunteer led, non-profit publication would be far more secure with the aid of a small donation. It only takes a minute and we would be very grateful.