Chewy Oat & Fruit Cookies
This is a great recipe, easy to follow and easy to customise. Raisins, dried apricots, cranberries and nuts could be added to the basic recipe. Get your hands sticky or rally the troops to muck in. These last no longer than a couple of days in my house but will keep for up to a week in an airtight container should you bulk bake.
Preheat the oven to 160/140 fan or gas mark 3.
• 1 cup rolled porridge oats
• 1 cup plain flour
• 1 cup granulated sugar
• 1 cup desiccated coconut
• 1 cup dried fruit of your choice
• 125 grams butter
• 2 tablespoons golden syrup
• 2 tablespoons boiling water
• 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1. Mix the oats, flour, sugar, coconut and chopped dried fruit in a bowl.
2. Melt the butter and golden syrup over medium heat and remove once liquid.
3. Mix the bicarbonate of soda and boiling water in a ramekin and add to butter (fizz!)
4. Add this to the dry ingredients and mix by hand.
5. Roll walnut-size balls and place on prepared baking sheet, flattening slightly with your hand.
6. Bake for 10-15 minutes until they start colouring around the edges. Remove and allow to firm up for 5 minutes or so before you handle them.
We hope you have enjoyed reading this article. The future of our volunteer led, non-profit publication would be far more secure with the aid of a small donation. It only takes a minute and we would be very grateful.