Cliff Notes for Fascism
By Gregory Chatfield
To provide an early warning system for fascism, we follow the antics of world leaders seemingly immune to truth and pressing the same emotive buttons as 20th century fascists:
• Boris Johnson became Prime Minister along with his new far-right cabinet.
• Our new Home Secretary, Priti Patel, returns to cabinet – having previously been fired from her role as International Development Secretary for holding secret meetings to discuss funnelling UK foreign aid to the Israeli Defence Force. Patel unveiled her new proposed immigration policy this week, requiring migrants to be ‘skilled’ and English speaking, with a job lined up in advance. She once advocated bringing back hanging, on Have I got News for You.
• Jacob Rees-Mogg, Lord President of the Council and Leader of the House of Commons, once retweeted a post authored by the far-right German nationalist party, Alternative for Deutschland.
• Dominic Raab indicated that the Johnson government intended to impose direct rule in Northern Ireland in the event of a no-deal Brexit.
• Boris is to spend £100m on propaganda supporting a no-deal Brexit.
• Trump administration has brought back federal executions and described Antifa, autonomous self-organised groups aiming at countering fascist actions, as a “major organisation of terror” that he is considering proscribing.
• The BBC aired an interview with white supremacist and fascist publicist Steve Bannon.
More next week…
We hope you have enjoyed reading this article. The future of our volunteer led, non-profit publication would be far more secure with the aid of a small donation. It only takes a minute and we would be very grateful.