Cake Without Egg
Honey And Spice Cake
This handy egg-less cake, slightly adapted from the useful and tasty The Art of the Larder by Claire Thomson, can be made from what’s in the cupboard and has a texture like the sticky Mr Kipling’s Ginger Cake.
• 225g plain flour
• ¼ nutmeg, finely grated
• 1 tsp ground ginger or ground cinnamon
• 100g soft brown sugar
• a pinch of salt
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
• 150ml hot black tea
• 100g honey
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan 140°C/Gas 3. Line a 450g loaf tin with baking paper.
2. Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Pour the tea into a measuring jug and stir in the honey so it melts.
3. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry and tip the mixture into the tin.
4. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when poked into the centre of the cake. Leave in the tin for 10 minutes, then remove and cool completely.
We hope you have enjoyed reading this article. The future of our volunteer led, non-profit publication would be far more secure with the aid of a small donation. You can also support local journalism by becoming a friend of HIP. It only takes a minute and we would be very grateful.