Holly’s Wholesome Kitchen
BY HOLLY JOHNSON
After a spell of ill-health a few years back, I decided to heal my body by nourishing it with nutritious, vibrant and wholesome foods. It’s now my absolute passion and I love to share my recipes via my Instagram page (@hollyswholesomekitchen) and my website all of the wonderful things I’ve learnt about the curative benefit of eating healthily.
RAW, RASPBERRY, PITAYA AND
Oh hiya, Pitaya! What a marvel you are; a versatile, vibrant ingredient totally jam-packed full of beautiful, healing and energy-boosting anti-oxidants. Pitaya powder is made by freeze-drying Dragonfruit, when it’s at it sweetest and juiciest to lock-in its potency! Yummy! It adds a subtle sweetness to smoothies and the colour is just so beautiful.
For the base
• 400g almonds
• 200g dates
• 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
• 1/3 cup of melted coconut oil
For the ombré topping
• 1kg cashews
• 1 lemon
• 2 tablespoons pitaya powder
• 1 vanilla pod
• 1 cup fresh raspberries
• half cup coconut oil
• half cup coconut nectar
1. Soak cashews for at least 6 hours
2. In food processor, process base ingredients and press mixture
into 10” oiled cake base with pushable bottom
3. Blend cashews until smooth and creamy
4. Add lemon juice, nectar, oil and seeds from pod
5. Take out 1/3 of mixture and layer on top of base
6. To remaining 2/3 add half of the pitaya powder
and a handful of raspberries
7. Layer on top of previous layer
8. Add remaining Pitaya powder and raspberries
(keep some raspberries back for decoration) and layer on top
9. Refrigerate for 1 hour
10. Remove from fridge 15 mins before serving
11. Cut with warm knife and wipe clean before cutting each slice
12. Serve with whipped coconut and lemon cream
WATERMELON SLUSHIE SMOOTHIE
You will need
• Half a juicy watermelon
• the juice of half a lime
• a handful of cashew nuts
• a sprig of fresh mint
• half a mango, a handful of strawberries,
ice and fresh mint to decorate.
1. Simply blend all ingredients with half of the ice until smooth. Pour over ice and decorate with more fresh mint (flamingo cocktail sticks optional).
2. This blend is also beautiful with a dash of white rum; the perfect pre-Fat Tuesday indulgence.
We hope you have enjoyed reading this article from Hastings Independent Press. The future of this volunteer led, non-profit publication would be far more secure with the aid of a small donation. It only takes a minute and we would be very grateful.